1. Consult your insurance brochure, and/or
2. Call your insurance company, either before or after your first visit, and have the following conversation:
a) Inform your insurance representative that you are seeing an “out-of-network” psychiatrist or psychologist.
b) Ask for the amount you will be reimbursed for CPT (Current Procedural Terminology) codes:
- 90792 (psychiatrist initial evaluation)
- 99214 (psychiatrist follow up)
- 90791 (psychologist initial evaluation)
- 90834 (psychologist follow up)
- 90847 (psychologist couples therapy)
- 90853 (psychologist group therapy)
c) Ask for the amount of your annual deductible.
d) Ask for total number of certified visits you have per calendar year.
3. Submit an invoice to your insurance company’s claim department (typically on the back of your insurance card). Verify your reimbursement amount and read the enclosed E.O.B (Explanation of Benefits). Most health insurance companies are required by law either to pay or deny the claim within 30 days. You may call your insurance company and ask about the status of your claim.
4. You should then have all the information you need to know about your insurance reimbursement. If you encounter any difficulties we will gladly call your insurance company on your behalf to further clarify the issue.